Whether you’re a first-time buyer or you’re onto your second or even third home, you have a lot to deal with when you opt to buy or sell a property. When do you need to talk to a real estate lawyer? What do you need to complete the process? What are closing costs? Have all the conditions been met?
The whole process can seem very daunting, and it’s easy to make mistakes, especially if you’re unfamiliar with the process. By carefully choosing your real estate lawyer, you can simplify the buying or selling process and look forward to a smoother process overall. You can visit our FAQ page to learn more about what a real estate lawyer does.
You likely have plenty of real estate lawyers in your area that you can choose from, and finding the right fit ultimately comes down to the right questions.
Create a shortlist of potential Edmonton real estate lawyers and then research the following areas, asking as many questions as you need to feel comfortable with your choice.
- How long has the real estate lawyer been practicing in this area of law?
- When did they graduate, and from where?
- Are they members in good standing with their governing bodies?
- Find out how long they have been working in your specific province. A real estate lawyer with more area-specific knowledge is better than someone who has just moved into the area.
- Do they have good reviews from previous clients?
- Do they bill you hourly or at a flat rate for their services? What other costs are involved?
After you’ve researched all of this and asked the questions, how do you feel about each candidate? It would be best if you went with someone you can trust. Look carefully at your findings and opt for the person who has the right expertise and customer service skills to make your experience a good one.